Chipotles, tomato paste, and beer give this robust dish its deep, rich flavor.
Hands-On Prep Time: 15 min
Total Time: 4-8 hrs (depends on if setting slow-cooker on high or low)
- (2) 15.5-ounce cans kidney beans, rinsed
- (1) 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 12 ounces lager beer
- ¾ pound beef chuck, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 to 3 teaspoons chopped chipotles in adobo sauce
- kosher salt
FOR SERVING: corn bread, sour cream, grated Cheddar, chopped red onion, and fresh cilantro sprigs.
In a 4 to 6-quart slow cooker, mix together the beans, tomatoes and their juices, beer, beef, yellow onion, garlic, tomato paste, flour, chili powder, chipotles, and ¾ teaspoon salt.
Cover and cook until the beef is tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours (this will shorten total recipe time).
OPTIONAL FOR ADDED DELICIOUSNESS – Serve with the corn bread, sour cream, Cheddar, red onion, and cilantro.
- Calories: 326 calories
- Fat: 5 g
- Sat Fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 36 mg
- Sodium: 1,045 mg
- Protein: 28 g
- Carbohydrate: 35 g
- Sugar: 9 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Iron: 5 mg
- Calcium: 93 mg