Smoked Salmon Crostini
This elegant appetizer features toasted baguette slices topped with smoked salmon, fresh herbs, and creamy cheese spread.
Yield: 24 servings (serving size: 2 crostini)
- 1/2 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound cold-smoked salmon, cut into thin strips
- 48 (1/2-inch-thick) slices French bread baguette, toasted (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup light garlic-and-herbs spreadable cheese (such as Alouette Light)
- Fresh dill sprigs (optional)
Combine the first 8 ingredients; cover and chill at least 1 hour. Spread each toast slice with 1/2 teaspoon cheese; top each with 1 tablespoon salmon mixture. Garnish with fresh dill sprigs, if desired.
Nutritional Information (amount per serving) Calories 112 | Fat 3 g | Protein 5.7 g | Carbohydrate 15.5 g | Fiber 1 g
Smoked Salmon + Egg Sandwich
This decadent sandwich would be perfect for brunch. You can also use soft-boiled eggs in place of the poached eggs.
Yield: 4 servings
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 (1-ounce) slices whole-grain bread, toasted
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- 4 ounces smoked wild salmon
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Bring water and vinegar to a simmer in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add eggs, 1 at a time; simmer 3 minutes or until desired degree of doneness.
2. Combine cheese, onion, dill, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; spread 1 tablespoon cheese mixture over each bread slice. Top each serving with 1/4 cup arugula and 1 ounce salmon. Remove eggs from pan with a slotted spoon; top each sandwich with 1 egg. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
Sustainable Choice: Look for salmon that’s labeled “wild Alaskan salmon,” and you can be sure you’re getting sustainable seafood.
Nutritional Information (amount per serving) Calories 219 | Fat 10.5 g | Protein 16.5 g | Carbohydrate 14.4 g | Fiber 2.3 g
Deviled Eggs with Smoked Salmon + Herbs
Use any combination of herbs you like for this easy and tasty starter.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 2 stuffed egg halves)
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces cold-smoked salmon, finely chopped
- 16 small dill sprigs (optional)
- 16 small tarragon sprigs (optional)
1. Place eggs in a large saucepan. Cover with cool water to 1 inch above eggs; bring just to a rolling boil. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 15 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold running water until cool.
2. Peel eggs; cut in half lengthwise. Place yolks in a medium bowl; mash with a fork until smooth. Add sour cream and next 7 ingredients (through salmon); stir well. Spoon mixture into egg white halves (about 1 tablespoon in each half). Garnish with dill and tarragon sprigs, if desired.
Nutritional Information (amount per serving) Calories 95 | Fat 5.8 g | Protein 8.1 g | Carbohydrate 2.6 g | Fiber 0.0 g