Homemade tacos are delicious, quick to cook, packed with flavor and quite filling. The best part is, there are plenty of ways to make tacos HEALTHY without sacrificing TASTE!
The recipe below can serve as your base, and you can personalize them to your taste with additional grilled or fresh veggies, or top it with cheese or delicious guacamole.
Fix them up any way you want to, but here is a dish that we can guarantee just about EVERYONE will love!!
- 3 chicken breast halves (skinned)
- 2 cans chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (finely chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 finely chopped red onion
- ½ tsp chopped fresh oregano
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 soft corn tortillas
- 1 ½ cups salsa
- Pre heat oven to 300⁰F.
- Apply salt and pepper over chicken breast.
- Take a small bowl and combine bay leaf, chipotle chiles, onion, vinegar and chicken breast. FOR BEST RESULTS – do this part ahead + allow it to marinate overnight.
- Take a large heavy skillet and heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute chicken for about 10 to 15 minutes or until one side is brown. Flip + cook other side of the chicken breast for about 10 to 15 minutes until browned as well. (To prevent the chicken from drying out as you cook it, splash throughout with a little water.)
- Remove from skillet when done. Pull chicken off the bone into bite-size strips.
- Sprinkle the chopped cilantro over the top.
- Wrap tortillas in aluminum foil and place them on a baking sheet. Warm in 300⁰F oven for about 5 minutes.